The American Literary Translators Association (ALTA) is excited to announce that the submissions portals for the 2023 ALTA awards are open! The following prizes are now accepting submissions:
- National Translation Award in Prose, for an exceptional book of translated prose published within the previous year
- National Translation Award in Poetry, for an exceptional book of translated poetry published within the previous year
- Italian Prose in Translation Award, for an exceptional work of translated Italian prose published within the previous year
- Lucien Stryk Asian Translation Prize, for an exceptional work of translated Asian poetry published within the previous year
- Spain-USA Foundation Translation Award, for an exceptional work of translated prose from Spain published within the previous year
- Travel Fellowships, for emerging translators to attend the annual ALTA conference, including the annual Peter K. Jansen Memorial Travel Fellowship, which is preferentially awarded to an emerging translator of color or a translator working from an underrepresented diaspora or stateless language
The winners of the ALTA book awards will be announced at the ALTA46 conference, held this November in Tucson, AZ; the 2023 Travel Fellows will be announced in September, and be featured in a reading at the ALTA46 conference.
Please note that we only accept submissions through our Submittable portal. The deadline for awards submissions is April 17 at 11:59pm PT. Direct any questions about ALTA’s awards to Communications and Awards Manager Rachael Daum at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Plus! ALTA is delighted to announce that the prize amounts offered to the winners of the National Translation Awards in Poetry and Prose, previously $2,500 each, has been increased to $4,000 each. Find out more about this update on our blog.