January 11, 2022—The American Literary Translators Association (ALTA) is delighted to announce, in conjunction with the Spain-USA Foundation, the inception of a new award for translation: The Spain-USA Foundation Translation Award (SUFTA)!
The award, which will be judged and conferred annually, will recognize translations into English of literary prose works written originally by authors of Spanish (Spain) nationality. The source language of the original text may be Spanish, Catalan, Basque, or Galician. The author need not be living for the work to be eligible for the prize. In keeping with the other book awards administered by ALTA, the SUFTA will consider books of prose literature published the previous calendar year.
The winner of the SUFTA will be recognized, alongside the other prizes administered by ALTA, at the Awards Ceremony held at the annual ALTA conference, and will be awarded a $5,000 prize.
Eligibility for the SUFTA:
- Submissions may be made by publishers OR translators for this prize
- The book must be a translation from Spanish, Catalan, Basque, or Galician into English, and by an author of Spanish (Spain) nationality
- The book may be translated by a translator based anywhere in the world, individually or in a team of up to, but not exceeding, four (4) co-translators
- The book must have been published in the United States in the previous calendar year (for example, to be eligible for the 2022 awards cycle, the book must have been published in 2021)
- Only prose books (literary fiction and nonfiction) are eligible
Submissions for the Spain-USA Foundation Translation Award will open mid-January and remain open through mid-April on ALTA’s Submittable page. There will be no fee charged to submit to this prize.
ALTA is excited to partner with the Spain-USA Foundation in establishing this new award to recognize excellence in translation.