After careful consideration of the developing circumstances surrounding COVID-19, ALTA has extended the deadline for its 2020 awards cycle from April 20 to May 4, 2020.
The following prizes are accepting submissions:
- National Translation Award in Prose, for an exceptional book of translated prose published within the previous year
- National Translation Award in Poetry, for an exceptional book of translated poetry published within the previous year
- Italian Prose in Translation Award, for an exceptional work of translated Italian prose published within the past year
- Lucien Stryk Asian Translation Prize, for an exceptional work of translated Asian poetry published within the previous year
- Travel Fellowships, for emerging translators to attend the annual conference, including the annual Peter K. Jansen Memorial Travel Fellowship, which is preferentially awarded to an emerging translator of color or a translator working from an underrepresented diaspora or stateless language
Please note that submissions are only accepted through our Submittable portal. The deadline for awards submissions is May 4 at 11:59pm PT. Find out more about ALTA’s awards on the website. Questions may be directed to ALTA’s Communications and Awards Manager Rachael Daum at email@example.com.
If you’re looking for the company of other translation-lovers in these trying times, reach out to the ALTA community: we’re active on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. We have a Facebook group for the ALTA conferences, and ALTA members enjoy access to a member listserv called ALTAlk. Check out this list of ALTA-recommended reads (featuring the winners of these ALTA awards for the past five years). And of course, reach out to your local bookstores and publishers and see if they are holding virtual book clubs, and support them if you can.
We don’t know which challenges you are facing right now. But we send warm, healthy wishes to you, and hopes that if we continue to support each other, we will see this crisis through—together.