January 17, 2018— The American Literary Translators Association is thrilled to announce that the 2018 award portals are open! The following prizes are now accepting submissions:
- National Translation Award in Prose, for an exceptional book of translated literature published within the previous year
- National Translation Award in Poetry, for an exceptional book of translated literature published within the previous year
- Lucien Stryk Asian Translation Prize, for an outstanding work of Asian literature published within the previous year
- Italian Prose in Translation Award, for an exceptional work of Italian prose in English translation
- Cliff Becker Book Prize in Translation, for an unpublished book-length manuscript of poetry in translation
- Travel Fellowships, for emerging translators to attend the annual conference
Please note that we only accept submissions through our Submittable portal. The deadline for awards submissions is April 16, 2018, at 11:59pm EST.
The American Literary Translators Association will award these five major prizes at the annual conference, ALTA41: Performance, Props, and Platforms, being held this year in Bloomington, IN from October 31 – November 3, 2018.
Additionally, ALTA is excited to welcome proposals for panels, roundtables, and workshops for our 41st conference, ALTA41: Performance, Props, and Platforms, this year being held in Bloomington, IN from October 31 – November 3, 2018. An excerpt from the conference description is as follows:
The three P’s of the ALTA41 theme are intended as bridges to several closely linked domains that often remain unacknowledged or underexplored in translation practice. While performance has sometimes been used as a metaphor for the act of translation, discussion of performance itself, particularly theatrical performance, has tended to remain on the margins. Also on the periphery has been attention to the props translators use extensively for their work, from dictionaries and historical reference works to discussion forums and Internet searches. In light of this, we invite panels, readings, roundtables, and workshops that use one or more of these thematic rubrics as a way of looking at our work anew. In the most concrete terms, these forums might address the practical questions of translating for the stage, of using dictionaries or translation software, or of creating and maintaining platforms for the dissemination of translated work. Beyond this, we are interested in questions of inclusivity, ability, and access to platforms, the way our tools help or hinder, and, as always, celebrate diverse and vital works from around the globe.
Only current ALTA members may submit conference session proposals using our online submission portal. To check your membership status, to join, or renew, go to our membership portal. The deadline for proposals is April 16, 2018 at 11:59pm EST. For further information regarding ALTA41, check out our website.
We are excited to see your submissions soon!