New International Literary Journal Accepting Submissions
Underpass, a new online journal for international literature, is accepting submissions of short fiction and narrative nonfiction from established and new writers from around the world.
For the launch edition, we’re accepting submissions of short stories, narrative nonfiction pieces, and excerpts from longer work that has been translated into English. A very small percentage of books published in the United States each year are translations and most are translated from French, German, and Spanish. At Underpass, we want to hear from the rest of planet.
We are particularly interested in writing that has been translated from languages other than French, German, and Spanish and provides English-speaking readers a window into a different country, neighborhood, culture, perspective. Submissions should be fewer than 7,500 words. Accompanying images, art, and photographs are encouraged.
To submit, please follow these directions:
Send a Word document of the English language version.
- Include a PDF document of the submission in the original language. Please let us know if it has previously been published in the original language.
- Include a short author bio and a translator bio in English. Please describe any past publication experience.
- All submission should be sent electronically to email@example.com
- Submissions will be accepted on a rolling basis. To be included in the launch edition planned for summer 2015, please send your submission by April 30.
- We will respond as fast as we can–hopefully within one month of submission.