DEADLINE: April 19, 2013
We are now welcoming panel proposals for the ALTA 2013 Conference, which will take place October 16-19 at the Indiana Memorial Union in Bloomington, Indiana. We invite panels on all topics related to literary translation, including:
Nuances of practice (in fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction)
Publishing, editing, and promotion
Teaching and mentoring (e.g., texts, exercises, classes, programs)
Networking, residencies, conferences, social media
Author panels, country-specific panels
Topical panels (e.g., translating war, race, humor, gender)
Text and paratext (e.g., translator prefaces, intros, notes, afterwords)
Translation and other arts (e.g., design, music)
Proposals should include the following:
1. Title of the panel or roundtable.
2. 50-100 word description outlining the focus and nature of the panel.
3. Name and contact information of the panel organizer.
4. Name and contact information of the other members of the panel.
5. If you seek additional panelists, please state how many; likewise, if you have a great topic but have yet to find others to participate on a panel, please indicate.
Panels are generally 75 minutes long, and must include time for general discussion and audience responses (we suggest at least 20 minutes). Each panelist should therefore be allotted 10-15 minutes per presentation, depending on the number of panelists (3-4 is ideal). Panelists are requested not to read papers, but rather to prepare talking points and examples from which to deliver an engaging talk.
The deadline for proposals is April 19, 2013. Panelists will be notified of acceptance by May 10th, 2013. Please send proposals in the body of an email to Russell Valentino, Conference Organizer at email@example.com