The Translation Project Group of the Southeast Asia Council (SEAC) of the Association for Asian Studies intends to award subventions to support the translation of key texts not yet published in the social sciences and humanities from a Southeast Asian language into English. Texts, which may be of any length, will be evaluated according to their importance within a disciplinary study of Southeast Asia, or for their decisive impact on the region.
Proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
1. Importance of the text to scholarship and teaching about the region;
2. Significance of the genre and how well it is represented in existing translations;
3. Qualifications of the translator;
4. Probability of successful completion;
5. Likelihood of publication;
6. Probability of classroom use.
Awards will vary from $750 to $2,000, depending on length of proposed text, and will be made annually.
The deadline for submissions is January 31, 2013. This funding opportunity is being made available by a grant from the Henry Luce Foundation.
Please submit inquiries to:
Chair, Translation Project Group
Southeast Asia Section
University of Washington Libraries
Seattle WA 98195-2900
For more information, please contact Judith Henchy at email@example.com
Southeast Asia Center
The Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies University of Washington
303 Thomson Hall, Box 353650
Seattle, Washington 98195-3650