Postmark Deadline EXTENDED: December 15, 2011
“Translation is the medium through which American readers gain greater access to the world. By providing us with as direct a connection as possible to the individual voice of the author, translation provides a window into the heart of a culture.” ——Cliff Becker, May 16, 2005
In collaboration with White Pine Press and the Cliff Becker Endowment for the Literary Arts, the Creative Writing Program at the University of Missouri has launched an annual publication prize in translation. The Cliff Becker Book Prize in Translation will produce one volume of literary translation in English, annually, beginning in the fall of 2012. These volumes initially will be bi-lingual editions of poetry, but as the endowment grows we will begin to include literary fiction and nonfiction in the prize rotation.
This year’s final judge is Willis Barnstone
- 80-140 pp., bi-lingual manuscripts in original, English translations of poetry.
- TWO title pages—ONE bearing only the title of the work and name of the non-English poet, and ONE bearing as well the name and contact information of the English translator.
- A current listing of acknowledgements, indicating permission of the original poet or his/her estate, as applicable, and indicating any previous publication of individual poems.
- No other indication of the translator’s identity may appear anywhere in the submitted manuscript.
- $25 submission fee made payable to The University of Missouri, with Cliff Becker Endowment for the Literary Arts written on the “memo” line.
- Manuscripts will not be returned, but you must include a letter-sized SASE for notification of results.
The translator of the winning manuscript will receive a standard publication contract with White Pine Press yielding a bi-lingual edition of 1000 copies of approximately 128 pages. In lieu of an advance against royalties, the translator will receive a prize of $1000.
The Cliff Becker Book Prize
Department of English/Tate Hall 107
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Please address inquiries to Assistant Series Editor, Ye Chun: email@example.com